Saturday 25 July 2009

The Holy Grail

I've knitted my first pair of socks, following the sock knitting instructions on Knitty, and designing an alien pattern for them. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but knitting man-sized socks was a tedious task and not a "quick knit" as I was told it should be.

I exptected to feel really proud when I mastered the sock knitting. I was hyping it up, bragging to my friends about how proud I was going to be when I had finished my socks.

my first attempt at knitting socks


But now that I'm finished, it's a bit of an anti-climax. I thought I'd get a euphoric high, a confidence boost, a feeling of being a new and better person. But all I'm left with is a pair of socks. And they're not super natural socks with glitter sparkles and a halo of wonder and magic around them, they're just socks. I feel cheated somehow. Maybe my expectations weren't very realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment