Thursday 17 September 2009

fantasy art by Frank Frazetta

Frank Frazetta has drawn both Vampirella and Conan. I don't care much for either of the two characters, but I like the way they are drawn. Plump bodies, pretty colours, mystical mossy forests, people with wings, far-away planets.. it's a little cheesy, and it's probably not the style they would have preferred us to go for in art college, but it's fun and I love it.












I love sci-fi and fantasy art made in the 60's-70's. It's something about the muted colours, the softness and graininess in comparison to contemporary flat colours and harsh lines. Also there's a more erotic, calm and mysterious feeling to them than the harsh sexy, action fuelled weaponry fixated stuff I see a lot of now. Things where better before ha ha... naah.. even my grandmother disagrees with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment