Sunday 13 September 2009

a drawing from my sketchbook

I've been sketching for my doll project lately. I like that they are bodies, yet not alive. They are uncanny. I'm using real dolls as my models. I can't afford fancy ball jointed ones, so this one is Barbie's cousin that I ripped the head off because she looked too much like a cheerleader. I then replaced it with the head from a Pocahontas Barbie that I stripped the paint off of because she looked too much like Pocahontas (go figure). I stripped her hair off too, and made her dreads from yarn. If I'm going to paint dolls, they can't look like cheerleaders. I think I just have to work with my dolls, dress them up and pose them and see what comes out of it.


In this sketch, I glued on pieces of yarn for her hair (The turquoise and black yarn is sock yarn that I'm using to knit socks with at the moment, I think they'll be the prettiest socks ever!). I'd like to work more with texture for these paintings, and maybe use a bit of collage, and in general just do less minimalistic stuff than I've done before when I've painted people/bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment