Wednesday 17 September 2008

deep in my synthetic soul

i want to share my love for a electro pop band from italy called syrian. i also want to make an attempt at explaining it as my boyfriend and a lot of my friends find it hard to understand why and how i can like them this much (or at all).

my first encounter with syrian was accidental. i had downloaded some mp3's by mistake, and played them out of curiosity. first there was some electronic pop and i found it sort of funny. then the vocal came on and i couldn't stop laughing. i knew i had found something really special. at first i was feeling embarrassed on the behalf of the band. the lyrics are really naive, yet the guy sings as if he takes it really seriously. and he has a very distinct italian accent too, that makes it even funnier.

i instantly needed to see what they looked like, and was not dissappointed when i found photos.


my mother has said i need to stop liking things ironically, as it's a very nonchalant and negative attitude.
there's also a quote i try to live by that comes to mind; "don't be cool, cool is conservative fear dressed in black".

i don't know if i'm trying to be cool when i laugh at syrian. i've wondered if i'm trying to cover up some sort of embarrassment of liking something this soppy by liking it ironically. i know that my love for them is not entirely ironical - while i can't stop laughing at them. yet i don't think it's out of embarrassment.

i've started to see something really pure and honest in the naivety about them. they're not trying to be hard or cool or complicated, they just sing their little hearts out. there's not a trace of evil in their music, it sounds like they don't even know what evil is - and i find it really touching and uplifting.
they sing about their own lonelyness and love(for each other?), but wrapped up in a sci fi setting. and it's not a hard brutal kind of sci fi that try to cover up any of their soppyness and naivety, no, there's lonely androids in space who takes the soppyness and naivety to the extreme.

here are a couple of their songs so you can judge for yourself. i've also included some of their lyrics as i think they are priceless.





lyrics to "space overdrive by syrian:
My starship is drifting
Aimless in flight
It's time to activate my mind
Mechanical pilot now comes alive
Storms of electricity
As digital implants are powering me
But now, running through the void
I can't stand the warp
Even if I'm a droid
Deep in my synthetic soul
I am falling down out of control
Light years of silence and stars
Will I return back to the sun
Space is cracking up my brain
Falling to pieces
I can't stop my pain
A war inside my head
Invisible forces are driving me mad

starless lyrics:
I'll never forget the silent sun
There was a universe around
The golden starship made no move
Into the red light all above
And when we watched the sky
We never felt so high
And you said it would last forever
Angels always fly there if you stay...
And you said you would wait forever
We will be together one day
Recalling the distant memories
I'm travelling through the galaxies
So time goes by and still the moon
Keeps spinning around the blue
And when I watch the sky
I wonder where you're now
awww.... <3

No comments:

Post a Comment